View of Stafford Springs, Conn. 1878.
Reproduction drawing of the community known as Stafford Springs, CT, published by O. H. Bailey & Co. in 1878. Downtown Stafford was once called Stafford Springs. It began as a agricultural community, but with the fast-moving waters of the tributaries of the Willimantic River, industrialization was fast at hand. By the mid-1800's Stafford Springs was connected by railroad to markets all through New England. Several Union force supplies, including cannon balls, were made here during the Civil War.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. It features inset illustrations of Mineral Springs Manufacturing Co., Residence of Julius Converse "Woodlawn", Stafford National Bank, Converseville Co's. Mills, Residence of B. Wells Patten, Residence of Robbins Patten and Granite Mill Co.
Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Post Office and N. L. N. R. R. Depot
- Congregational Church
- M. E. Church
- Grace Episcopal Church
- St. Edward's R. C. Church
- St. Edward's R. C. School
- St. Mary's Convent
- Public Schools
- Stafford National Bank
- Savings Bank of Stafford Springs
- C. Fox & Co., Manufacturers of Woolens
- Mineral Springs Woolen Manufacturing Co., Julius Converse, Treasurer
- Granite Mills Co., Cottons, Geo. M. Ives, Agent
- Converseville Co., Woolens, B. W. Patten, Agent
- Glen Co. Cotton Warp, etc., E. C. Pinney, Agent
- Phoenix Woolen Co., Woolens, Chas. Holt, Agent
- Rowitser Bros.
- Wm. Smith & Co., Manufacturers' Supplies
- E. C. Dennis, Grain, Meal and Feed
- C. J. Holmes, Coal and Lumber
- G. H. Baker, Furniture, Carpets, etc.
- Warren's Block
- Henry Smith, Dentist
- Rockwell's Block
- J. H. Reed, Attorney at Law
- R. D. Davison, Attorney at Law
- Foster's Block
- F. Chamberlin, Home Insurance Co.
- Mrs. O. Dorman, Home Dining Rooms
- F. N. Crane, Harness Manufacturer
- Geo. O. Cleaveland, Flour, Grain, &c.
- Mrs. Geo. O. Cleaveland, Furniture, Notions, &c.
- E. A. Buck & Co., Hardware
- B. F. Taylor, Organs, Notions, etc.
- W. A. Comins, Carriage Shop and Blacksmithing
- Dr. C. H. Lampear
- C. B. Newton, M. D.
- Thompson & Whiton, Groceries
- Lyman Cushman, Livery Stable
- Gary Bros., Livery Stable
- J. F. Brooks, Road Scrapers
- Bidwell & Smith, Meat Market
- J. E. Walker & Co., Blue Front Clothing House
- Stafford Springs House