Historic Map - Akron, OH - 1882
Panoramic view of the city of Akron, Summit County, Ohio 1882. Beck & Pauli, lithographers.
Panoramic reproduction view of the city known as Akron, Ohio looking southwest, drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Ruger & Stoner in 1882. Akron is located along the Cuyahoga River and much of it rests on the Glaciated Allegheny Plateau region of Ohio giving it cold winters and warm to hot and humid summers. Established in 1825, Akron soon prospered with the completion of the Ohio and Erie Canal. The city's history as a rubber capital began in 1869 when B. F. Goodrich started the Goodrich Corporation. The industry had a major part in making Akron the birthplace of the American trucking industry and becoming a central hub for interstate trucking.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. Complete reference list below. Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Academy of Music
- City Armory
- Fire Engine House
- Court House
- Masonic Building and Post Office
- Odd Fellows Building
- Bouchtel College
- Central School
- Broadway School
- Crosby School
- Perkins School
- Spicer School
- South School
- Akron Rural Cemetery
- German Catholic Cemetery
- Water Works and Reservoir
- The Beacon Publishing Co., Daily and Weekly Beacon. Geo. W. Crouse, Pres't., T. C. Raynolds, Sec'y, F. J. Starel, Business Manager.
- Akron City Times, R. H. Knight, Pub. and Prop.
- Akron Germania, Louis Seybold, Ed'r and Pub.20. The Daily and Semi-Weekly News, Wellman Bro's, Ed's and Prop's.
- Sunday Gazette, Carson Lake, Ed'r and Manager
- Wholesale Paper Warehouse, Halloway & Markle, Prop's.
- Tannery, James Christy & Sons, Prop's.
- Akron Oat Meal Mill, Hover & Co., Prop's.
- Akron Oat Meal Steam Mill, Carter & Steward, Prop's.
- Aetna Mills, McNeil & Baldwin, Prop's.
- German and Empire Mills, F. Schumacher, Prop.
- New Mill, F. Schumacher, Prop.
- Cascade Mill, F. Schumacher, Prop.
- Stone Flour Mill, Commins & Allen, Prop's.
- Akron Brass Foundry, J. H. Reddle, Prop.
- Akron Boiler Works, J. C. McNeil, Prop.
- Akron Iron Works, L. Miller, Pres't., J. A. Long, Sec'y.
- Akron Manufacturing Co., D. S. Alexander & Co., Prop.
- Akron Fire Brick Works, J. Park Alexander, Prop.
- Planing Mill, Weary, Snyder & Co., Prop's.
- Coal Office, O. S. Jacobs, Props.
- Akron Polishing and Plating Works, Root & Dean, Prop's.
- Broom Manufactory, Bachtel & Pontins, Prop's
- Akron Brick Works, Atwood & Briggs, Prop's
- Akron Stoneware Pottery, E. H. Merrill & Co's, Prop's.
- Ohio Stone Ware Pottery, Knapp & Whitsel, Prop's.
- The B. F. Goodrich Co's Rubber Works
- The Diamond Match Co's Works, O. C. Barber, Pres't.
- Akron Varnish Works, Kubler & Beck, Prop.
- Empire Mower and Reaper Works, J. Feiberling, Pres't.
- Buckeye Mower and Reaper Works, Geo. W. Crouse, Treas.
- The Whitman, Barnes Manufacturing Co's Works, Geo. Barnes, Pres't., S. M. Burnham, Sec'y., J. S. Lane, Sup't., W. T. Allen, Treas.
- Webster, Camp and Lane, Machine Co's Works, Chas. Webster, Pres't., S. M. Burnham, Sec'y., J. S. Lane, Sup't., W. T. Allen, Treas.
- Cooper Works, Phillip Stein, Prop.
- Foundry and Machine Works, Wm. Eberhard, Prop.
- Stove Works, Taplin, Rice & Co., Prop's
- Grace Park
- South Park
- Gas Works
- Akron Hebrew Congregation
- First Baptist Church
- Church of the Disciples
- First Congregational Church
- Evangelical Association Church
- Grace Reform Church
- German Reform Church
- German Lutheran Church
- First Methodist Episcopal Church
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church
- St. Bernard German Catholic Church
- St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- First Universalist Church
- A. M. E. Zion Colored Church
- N. Y. P. & O. R. R. and C. A. & C. R. R. Union Depot
- Valley R. R. Depot
- Empire House, Ailes & Epply, Prop's. Successors to Phillips & Ailes
- ew Summer House, E. D. Ely, Prop.
- Base Ball Ground
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.