Historic Map - Ravenna, OH - 1882
Panoramic view of the city of Ravenna, county seat of Portage Co., Ohio 1882.
Reproduction panorama map of Ravenna, Ohio, looking southeast, drawn by Albert Ruger and published by Ruger & Stoner in 1882. Named after the Italian city of Ravenna, the Ohio town was founded in 1808 on land the government had reserved for New Englanders whose homes and towns were destroyed during the American Revolution. The town quickly became the county seat for Ohio's newly formed Portage County. A court house and log jail were built in 1810. A new brick courthouse was erected in 1830 and expanded in 1881. W. D. Clark formed his wagon and buggy works here in 1831. A glassmaking facility was brought in in 1848. Later the Clark Wagon & Buggy Co. would be known as the Riddle Coach and Hearse Co.. H. Warner Riddle arrived in town in 1860 and became one of Ravenna's most famous businessmen and philanthropists. Several buildings downtown were either built by him or named for him. Ravenna watched the Quaker Oats Co. begin in 1877. Telephones were first introduced to Ravenna citizens in the year of this map.
The map features clearly labeled street names showing scenes of carriage, pedestrian and railroad traffic.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
- Church of the Disciples
- Episcopal Church
- Methodist Church
- Congregational Church
- Universalist Church
- Roman Catholic Church
- United Brethern Church
X. Sash & Blind Factory, Henry Grohe, Proprietor
XX. Cigar Manufactory, Wholesale, J. Hamm, Proprietor
- Court House
- County Jail
- Town Hall
- Union High School
- District Schools
- N. Y. P. & O. R. R. Depot
- C. & P. R. R. Depot
- P. Y. & C. Railroad
- Fire Engine House
- Ravenna Steam Flour Mill, Quincy Cook, Proprietor
- Atlantic Steam Flour Mill
- Wholesale Oyster Depot, Max Schneck, Proprietor
- Planing Mill, J. Kingsbury & Son, Proprietors
- Planing Mill, D. L. Baldwin & Son, Proprietors
- Tannery, C. F. Goepinger, Proprietor
- Post Office, W. S. Krake, Postmaster
- Steam Saw Mill, O. D. Kingsbury, Proprietor
- Woolen Mill
- Opera Hall
- Gas House
- Pump Manufactory, E. & R. Knapp, Proprietors
- Furniture Manufactory, Otto Krakow & Son, Proprietors
- Enterprise Lamp Chimney, Glass Works
- Diamond Window Glass Works
- H. & A. Stowe, Hub Manufactory
- Quaker Mill
- Etna Hotel
- Commercial Hotel
- 1st National Bank
- 2nd National Bank
- Carriage Factory, Merts & Riddle, Proprietors
- Foundry & Plow Works, Robert Doig, Proprietor
- Machine & Repair Shop, John F. Byers, Proprietor
- Carriage Factory
- "Republican-Democrat", H. R. W. Hall, Editor
- Lumber Yard, Smith & Marvin, Proprietors
- Marble Works, A. W. Stocker, Proprietor
- Marble Works, H. L. Osborn, Proprietor
- "Portage County Republican", J. H. Fluhart, Editor
- "Democrat Press", S. D. Harris & Son, Editors
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.