Business section of the city of Birmingham, Alabama. Drawn in 1903 by C. N. Dry.
Panoramic reproduction map of Birmingham, Alabama showing the business section, drawn and published by Camille N. Dry in 1904. Birmingham, the county seat for Jefferson County, emerged from the assembling of three existing towns after the Civil War. It was named after Birmingham, England and soon became an industrial and rail transportation hub. The area was rich with coal and other ore. Several iron and steel manufacturers set up factories here. The railroad industry manufactured railroad cars and rail in Birmingham. Birmingham was an important banking and insurance center.
The map has clearly labeled street names and shows railroad traffic.