Once inhabited by the Sokoki band of the Abenaki tribe, the area surrounding the confluence of the West River and the Connecticut River was called Wantastiquet, meaning "river which leads to the west".
Although Fort Dummer was built here in 1724 to defend the Massachusetts Bay Colonies during the Dummer War, the Dummer War ended the following year and the fort was converted to a trading post. When King George's War broke out in 1744, the fort was revived and a small band of troops remained there until 1750. The township was chartered with the name Brattleborough in 1753 by Governor Benning Wentworth, choosing to name it after Colonel William Brattle, Jr., of Boston, a principal proprietor. As the hostilities between the French ceased, settlement became more feasible.
Stephen Greenleaf opened the first store in Vermont in the east village in 1771. A bridge across the Connecticut River was built in 1804. Whetstone Falls provided abundant water power, which led to the development of mills of all types. The pure spring water that was discovered near Whetstone Brook led to the development of the third "water cure" facility in the country in 1844. In 1888, the town was renamed Brattleboro.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
Roman Catholic Church.
Public School Building.
The Brooks Library Building.
The Vermont Asylum for the Insane.
The Brooks House.
The American House.
Estey Organ Co.'s Manufactory.
Brattleboro Sewing Machine Manufactory.
Smith & Hunt, Children's Carriage Manufactory.
E. P. Carpenter Co., Organ Manufactory.
Highland Park & Reservoir.