Today the East Poultney Historic District and the Poultney Village Historic District are both listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Chartered in 1761 by Benning Wentworth, Royal Governor of New Hampshire, the town was named for the 1st Earl of Bath, William Pulteney. The first settlers were Thomas Ashley and Ebenezer Allen who built a cabin near the Poultney River in 1771. While family members and others joined the community, growth was slow as legal disputes between New Hampshire and Vermont lands remained unresolved. Most of the women and children of Poultney returned to family homes in Connecticut and Massachusetts during the Revolutionary War, while most of the men served in the army in support of the American Revolution.
Today's Green Mountain College was founded in 1834 as a coeducational institution called Troy Conference Academy. The college became Ripley Female College from 1863 to 1874, when it returned to a coeducational status and was once again named Troy Conference Academy (referenced on the map).
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
"Trinity" Episcopal Church.
Methodist Episcopal Church.
"St. Raphael" Roman Catholic Church.
Public Schools and Village Hall.
Troy Conference Academy, Rev. Chas. H. Dunton, A. M., Principal.
D. & H. C. Co. (R & W Div.) Railroad Station.
"The Poultney Journal", R. J. Humphrey, Proprietor.
Poultney House, E. O. Joslyn, Proprietor.
Beaman's Hotel, C. C. Beaman, Proprietor.
First National Bank.
Henry Ruggles' Foundry & Machine Shop.
Ripley & Stanley, Steam Sawing & Planing Mill, and Slate Mantel Stock.
Griffith & Nathaniel, Office, Quarries 2½ Miles S. E. of Poultney.
Moseley & Stoddard Manufacturing Co., Improved Dairying Apparatus.
Fales & Co., "Fales" Sleighs and Hand Sleds.
S. Sherman, Saw, Planing and Grist Mill.
E. M. Bixby, Coal Office.
Andrew Clark, Carriage and Blacksmith Shop.
Hermon R. Clark, Carriage and Blacksmith Shop.
Timothy O'Leary, Carriage and Blacksmith Shop.
The Poultney Industrial Society.