One of the New Hampshire land grants made in 1780, following some confusion regarding an earlier grant made by New York. Aaron Storrs and seventy others obtained the charter in 1781. The town prospered as an agricultural community, noted for its fine dairy products and mutton.
The White River provided water power for the development of mills and factories. The Vermont Central Railroad arrived in 1848, opening more opportunity for trade and industry. The original railway station along the north side of the tracks was replaced in the 1870's and the original depot was moved across the tracks to serve as a freight house. The new station was an example of the popular French Second Empire style, with mansard roof lines and decorative wrought-iron.
An inset illustration in the lower left corner of the map presents a view of the "Green Mountain Stock Farm".
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
Rail Road Station.
Red Lion Inn.
Abbott's Sash, Door and Blind Factory.
Prince's Tub Factory.
Salisbury Bro.'s Furniture Factory.