Today the largest town in Addison County, Middlebury was given its name for its location in the middle of Salisbury and New Haven. The town was in its early stages of development when the American Revolutionary War began, the first settlers arriving in 1766. Much of the town was destroyed in November 1778, during the British raid known as Carleton's Raid. Led by Major Christopher Carleton, the raids targeted sites in upstate New York and the Vermont Republic. Settlers did not return to develop their lands until after the Revolutionary War was over.
Middlebury College, which is referenced on the map was founded in 1830. Middlebury's position along the Otter Falls provided opportunity for the development of water power for mills and factories, leading to the growth and prosperity that made Middlebury the second largest town in Vermont by 1830. The Rutland and Burlington Railroad arrived in 1849, known simply as the Rutland Railroad by the time this map was published.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
M. E. Church.
Roman Catholic Church.
Building and House Furnishing, Material, Smith & Allen, Proprietors.
Central Vermont R. R. Station.
Addison House, D. Rider, Proprietor.