Historic Map - Cincinnati, OH - 1838
Map of the city of Cincinnati / from actual survey by Joseph Gest, city surveyor, 1838; engraved by Wm. Haviland.
Reproduction view of the city known as Cincinnati, Ohio, including Covington, KY and Newport, KY. Drawn from a survey by Joseph Gest in 1838. Between the Little Miami and Great Miami rivers on the north shore of the Ohio River, Cincinnati began as a small settlement called "Losantiville" in 1788. Losantiville faced the mouth of the Licking River. Its name was changed in 1790 to Cincinnati. Construction began in 1825 on the Miami and Erie Canal. The canal began operations two years later linking Cincinnati to Middletown and then later all the way to Toledo.
Cincinnati's close proximity to the Kentucky border led to great tensions between the locals as Ohio did not allow slavery and Kentucky did. This led to riots and raids. Cincinnati housed several "Underground Railroad" stations. In 1836 a mob of about 700 anti-abolitionists attacked and raided black neighborhoods in Cincinnati.
The Little Miami Railroad began serving the community in 1836. The map includes a profile of the bottom of the Ohio River, scale recording height of reservoirs and extent of the river's flow. Landmarks are included as well as ward boundaries. Clearly labeled streets are indicated.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.