Historic Map - Cordele, GA - 1908
Birds eye view Cordele, Georgia 1908. Drawn by A. E. Downs.
Bird's eye view map of Cordele, Georgia, published in 1908. Officially founded just twenty years before this map was published, the area that is now Cordele was in Dooley County and was the temporary capital of Georgia during November of 1864. "Dooley County Place" was the farmhouse of wartime governor of Georgia, Joseph E. Brown and served as capital for just a few days. The city of Cordele was officially incorporated in 1888 and was named after the daughter of the president of the Savannah, Americus & Montgomery Railroad, Cordelia Hawkins. The city prospered from the junction of the SAM and the Georgia Southern and Florida rail lines, experiencing rapid growth and development.
This map captures the town of Cordele just three years after becoming the county seat of newly formed Crisp County (founded in 1905).
Inset illustrations of the following businesses and sites appear in the upper and lower margins of the map:
- Residence of R. L. Wilson
- Carnegie Library
- The City Drug Store
- Cordele Realty & Abstract Company, American National Bank, Capital $100,000.
- Tomlin Harris Machine Co.
- Public School
- Court House
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.