View of Wilson, Wilson County, N.C., 1908 / drawn & published by T. M. Fowler.
This panoramic print of Wilson, North Carolina was drawn and published by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler in 1908. When Wilson County was organized in 1855, the tiny agricultural and lumber town named Wilson was designated as the county’s seat of government.
In the early 1900's, Wilson was an important marketing center for the popular bright-leaf tobacco grown throughout the region. The popular light tasting tobacco had emerged as the user’s preferred tobacco for the manufacture of cigarettes. The locally grown tobacco was processed and marketed extensively in Wilson, giving the town economic stability during the era.
The map includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes. It features inset illustrations or photographs of the following:
- Court House.
- Atlantic Christian College.
- Branch Banking Co.
- Oettinger’s. 103-5-7 Nash St.
- Residence of Jonas Oettinger.
- The Wilson Sanatorium.
- Residence of C. M. Fleming.
- Carolina Office Building, occupied by Wilson Insurance & Realty Co. & others.
- First National Bank.
- Graded School.
- Baptist Church.
- Christian Church.
- Residence of R. E. Hagan.
- G. T. Purvis, General Repairing.
- Presbyterian Church.
- Enterprise Machine Co. Gadd & Smith, Proprietors.
- Plant of the Southern Cotton Oil Co.
- Dildy & Agnew Hardware & Roofing. Established 1902.
- J. W. Shealy Machine Shop & Foundry.
- The Boykin Grocery Co.
- The W. W. Simms Co.
- Wilson Grocery Co. Wholesale Grocers & Bottlers. Established 1899.
- Farmers Cotton Oil Co.
- The Home of the Times Daily & Semi-Weekly. P. O. Gold Publishing Co., Proprietors.
- Primitive Baptist Church.
- Herring’s Drug Store. Dr. B. S. Herring’s Office.
- O. V. Foust’s Studio.
- Episcopal Church.
- M. E. Church.