Birds eye view of Emporia, Virginia 1907. Drawn and published by T. M. Fowler.
Reproduction bird's-eye view map of Emporia, Virginia, published by T. M. Fowler in 1907. The town of Emporia was formed in 1887 by merging two towns on the Meherrin River. The towns of Belfield and Hicksford formed the new town of Emporia, which was named after Emporia, Kansas.
An important transportation hub, the area was a strategic railroad and supply line for the Confederate States during the Civil War. The Union army attempted to destroy the rail line in Hicksford, in what was to become known as the "Apple Jack Raid" of December, 1864. More than 20,000 Union troops advanced from Petersburg to Belfield, while the Confederate forces, led by General Wade Hampton, prepared to defend the line and burned the wagon bridge to stop the advancing troops near Hicksford. The Union troops retreated the following day and were pursued by the Confederate Calvary. The retreating Union soldiers, often under the influence of apple brandy, or "Apple Jack", were admonished for their deplorable conduct toward the local citizens along their retreat.
This map from 1907 shows buildings, clearly labeled street names and railway route.
Features references to the following locations:
- Greensville Cox High School
- Merchants & Farmers Bank
- Residence of J. D. Peebles
- Residence of G. L. Vincent
- Emporia Masonic Temple & Post Office
- Property of Robert Seay
- Residence of Fred. E. Royal
- The Greensville Bank
- Greensville County Court House
- Residence of Robert Seay
- Wright Drug Co.
- Emporia Machine and Foundry Co.
- H. T. Klugel's Architectural Sheet Metal Works
- Bradley House, Mrs. J. E. Bradley
- Tillar Smith Hardware Co.
- Hotel Virginia
- Interstate Veneer Company
- Belfield Dairy Farm
- Emporia Manufacturing Co.
- Baptist Church Emporia
- Methodist Church Belfield
- Episcopal Church
- Baptist Church Belfield
- Methodist Church Emporia
- Christian Church