null

Historic Map - Evansville, IN - 1880

Code:
1W-IN-EV-1880-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Panoramic view of Evansville, Ind., 1880.

Reproduction map of Evansville, Indiana, published in 1880. Originally settled as "McGary's Landing" in 1812. Hugh McGary, Jr., renamed his settlement Evansville in honor of Colonel Robert Morgan Evans, an officer in the War of 1812. When Vanderburgh County was created in 1818, Evansville was made the county seat.

The completion of the Wabash and Erie Canals in 1853, which connected the Great Lakes to the Ohio River, combined with the arrival of Evansville's first railroad, the Evansville & Crawfordsville Railroad, greatly accelerated the town's growth. Just ten years after this map was published, Evansville ranked as the 56th largest urban area in the United States.