Reproduction map of Evansville, Indiana, published in 1888. Originally settled as "McGary's Landing" in 1812. Hugh McGary, Jr., renamed his settlement Evansville in honor of Colonel Robert Morgan Evans, an officer in the War of 1812. When Vanderburgh County was created in 1818, Evansville was made the county seat.
The completion of the Wabash and Erie Canals in 1853, which connected the Great Lakes to the Ohio River, combined with the arrival of Evansville's first railroad, the Evansville & Crawfordsville Railroad, greatly accelerated the town's growth. Just ten years after this map was published, Evansville ranked as the 56th largest urban area in the United States.
The map features detailed illustrations inset around the margins of the following sites:
Business Mens Assn. Building.
Vanderburgh County Court House.
State Asylum for the Insane.
"Continuation from corner Alabama St. & Tenth Ave."
Railroad Bridge over the Ohio River below Evansville.
Heilman Plow Works.
Heilman Machine Works.
Armstrong Furniture Co. Warerooms & Office, 107-109 & 111 1st St.
Geo. P. Heilman & Co. Hominy Mills.
Our Soap Factory.
L. Puster & Co. Furniture Factory.
F. W. Cook Brewing Company.
Read, McCoy & Co., Real Estate.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
2. Read, McCoy & Co., Real Estate, 422 Main St.
3. Blount Plow Co., Sole Manufacturers of Blount's True Blue Steel Plows.
4. Geo. L. Mesker & Co., Architectural Iron Works.
5. Thos. Scantlin & Son, Iron Founders, Manufacturers of Stoves, Mantles & Sorgho Machine Works.
6. Melrose Milling Co., Flouring Mills.
7. Wm. Bell, Real Estate and Loan Agent, 315 (upper) 3d St.
8. Bement & Seits, Wholesale Grocers.
10. Lemeke Bros., & Johnson, proprietors, Evansville Woolen Mills.
11. Geo. Lemnert, manufacturer of Cigars and dealer in Tobacco.
12. Sunnyside Coal & Coke Co.
13. Lottie Hotel and Dining Hall, Jos. Meyer, proprietor, 215 Locust St.
14. H. E. Read, Jr., Real Estate Agent, 325 (upper) 3d St.
15. Schooner Hall and Restaurant, Krl Zeidler, proprietor, 204 (upper) 4th St.
16. Hinson & Campbell, Real Estate Agents, in Griess' Block.
17. Reid Bros., Architects and Superintendents, Merchants Bank building.
18. Sebastian Heinrich, Abstract of Title to Real Estate, 318 Main St.
19. A. M Schneider & Co., Job Printers, manufacturers of Rubber Stamps, Agents Victor Bicycle Co.
20. Smith's Hotel, Will. H. Ruston, proprietor.
21. M. Weil & Son, Insurance 219 (up.) 3d Street.
22. Parsons & Scoville, Wholesale Grocers.
A. New county court house, 4th street between Vine and Division.
B. Custom house and post office, 2d street between Vine and Sycamore.
I. City Hall and council chamber.
D. Gas Works, corner 5th Ave. and Penn street.
2. St. Mary's hospital, N. S. Vermont between Wabash Ave. & 10th Ave.
X. City Hospital, corner 2d and Vine.
Y. City Water Works, corner Water and Mulberry near Main.
V. Evansville Electric Light station N. S. Division.
Presbyterian Churches all marked L.
Methodist Episcopal Churches marked M.
Baptist Churches all marked N.
Lutheran Churches all marked O.
Protestant Episcopal Churches marked P.
Roman Catholic Churches all marked R.
Jewish all marked J.
German Evangelica marked E.
Christian Church marked C.
Public Schools marked S C.
Evansville Fire Department, 7 & S.
Evansville Fire Department Hose Co. No. 1 through No. 9
42. Evansville Fire Department Steam Engine
39. Evansville Fire Department Chemical Fire Engine Co. No. 1.
23. Wm. Hughes, Wholesale Millinery and Notions.
24. Ed. Baker, Fruits and Produce.
25. C. W. Barenfanger, manufacturer of Carriages and Spring Wagons.
26. Willem & Rogers, Grocery and Saloon.
27. A. W. Carpenter, proprietor, Carpenter's Block, Real Estate Dealer, office 4 Carpenter Street.
28. Jno. Letsch, Wholesale Harness and Collar manufacturer, 510 Fulton Ave.
29. Phil. Geissler, General Insurance, Real Estate and Loan Agent.
30. Liederkranz Hall and Saloon, Jacob Mayer, proprietor.
31. H. H. Uhlhorn, proprietor, Marble, Stone and Granite Works, Edgar and Penn Streets.
32. Davidson, Blount & Co., WagonFactory, corner, 5th and Locust.
33. S. Biedermann, proprietor, White River Valley Coal Mines.
34. City Planing Mills, Jno. S. McCorkle, proprietor, 723 Walnut Street.
35. Hermann Bros., Manufacturing Co., Wagons and Farm Machinery, N.E. corner Main and Illinois Street.
36. August Schmitt, Stoves, Tinware and Pumps.
37. Lahr, Hopkins & Co., Dry Goods.