Historic Map - Jefferson, OH - 1901
Reproduction panoramic view portrayed in manuscript pencil and pen and ink, of the village of Jefferson, Ohio drawn and published by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler in 1901. Jefferson is the county seat for Ashtabula County. Founded in 1803, Jefferson was named after the sitting U. S. president, Thomas Jefferson.
The law offices of Joshua Giddings and Benjamin Wade were established here in 1811. In the years before the American Civil War, the U. S. House of Representatives instilled a "Gag Rule" that forbade their decision-making forces from discussing or referring to any anti-slavery issues. Both Wade, who had been elected to the U. S. Senate in 1837, and Giddings, who was elected to Congress in 1838, defied the gag rule and spoke openly their positions. The two became instrumental in the foundation of the Republican Party.
Jefferson housed several stations of the Underground Railway. During the civil war Union troops were trained at Fort Giddings, which had been set up at what is now the County Fairgrounds.
Two years after this map was published, local resident E. T. (Tom) Fetch would begin his famous transcontinental road trip with passenger Marius Krarup in their 1903 Packard Model F roadster from San Francisco to New York.
The map includes clearly labeled street names and shows lively scenes of carriage and railroad traffic.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.