Bird's eye view of Macon City, Macon County, Missouri 1869. Drawn by A. Ruger.
Reproduction map of the community known as Macon City, MO, drawn by Prussian born Albert Ruger. Pioneers began settling Macon County in the early 1820s. They came mostly from Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee, following the ancient Indian trade route called the Great Trail. The trail followed the great divide between the Missouri and Mississippi watershed, running right through what was to become the Macon County seat, Bloomington. Macon county is one of the richest of coal producing counties in Missouri. The City of Macon was laid out on the rolling upland prairie, between the Middle Fork of the Salt and the East Fork of the Chariton Rivers. With the development of the Northwest and Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroads, the community of Macon City, named for Revolutionary War soldier and North Carolina statesman Nathaniel Macon, grew rapidly. By 1861, with over 7,000 Union troops populating the City of Macon, a political and necessary decision was made, and in 1863, the county seat was moved here.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic. It features inset illustrations of Court House and Public School.
Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Court House
- County Jail
- Public School
- Methodist College
- Railroad Depot
- 1st Baptist Church
- 2nd Baptist Church
- Christian Church
- Congregational Church
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Methodist Episcopal South Church
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church
- Roman Catholic Church