Bird's eye view of Michigan City, LaPorte County, Ind. 1869.
Reproduction map of Michigan City, Indiana, published 1869. Land for the city was first purchased in 1830 by Isaac C. Elston, and the city was incorporated in 1836, a town that already contained 1500 residents.
This map was published the same year that one of the town's most notable citizens, John H. Barker, took over his father's interest in the railroad car company Haskell & Barker Car Company (referenced on the map). The company later merged with the Pullman Car Company and became the Pullman-Standard Car Company. John H. Barker was to become a highly successful businessman and a great philanthropist to the city, contributing substantially to the library and several other civic buildings, including the Y. M. C. A., St. Anthony Hospital, Trinity Episcopal Church, Barker Hall and the bandstand in Washington Park.
Detailed illustrations of the Northern Indiana Prison, the Catholic Church and the Episcopal Church appear on the lower margin of the map, along with an illustration of what appears to be a residence that is not named.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Catholic Sisters School
- Public School
- German Lutheran School
- Congregational Church
- Episcopal Church
- Methodist E. Church
- Methodist E. Church, German
- German Lutheran Church
- Catholic Church
- Haskell & Barkers Car Works
- L. N. A. & C. R. R. Round House & Machine Shops
- M. C. R. R. Machine Shops
- Northern Indiana Prison