A bird's-eye view of Madison, CT, published by O. H. Bailey in 1881. A charmingly illustrated view of the town includes "The Green", which was formerly an open common, with the swampy northern section that was later filled in. The citizens voted in 1842 to have all buildings removed and the ground made level and in October 1845, the land became a Public Square and Parade Ground. Fencing and beautiful trees were added to improve the park.
This view of Madison captures the town nearly thirty years after the arrival of the steam locomotive in Madison. On July 1, 1852 the New Haven and New London Railroad brought the state's first rail line to Madison, running from Stonington to Providence, Rhode Island on its inaugural route. Rail lines made it possible for Madison farmers and merchants to ship their goods inland, while also bringing more tourists to enjoy the beach resorts along the Connecticut shore.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. Post Office, John Wilcox, Post Master
2. N. Y. N. H. Railroad Station
3. Town Hall
4. Methodist Church
5. Congregational Church & Parsonage
6. Public School
7. The Green
8. H. B. Hunter, Furniture & Undertaking. Dealer in Picture Frames, Brackets, & c.
9. F. W. Coe, Dry & Fancy Goods & c.
10. C. E. Scranton, Dealer in Groceries, Flour, Feed & Coal
11. Dowd & Scranton, Dry Goods, Groceries & General Merchandise
12. J. R. Meigs, Dry & Fancy Goods & c.
13. P. P. Coe, Grocerie & Provisions
14. C. E. Nettleton, Horse Shoeing & General Jobbing
15. E. G. Norton, Dealer in all Kinds of Fresh Meat, Hams & c.