null

Historic Map - Missoula, MT - 1891

Code:
1W-MT-MI-1891-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Perspective map of Missoula, Mont. county seat of Missoula County.

When the Lewis and Clark expedition first passed through the Missoula Valley, the area was known as "Nemissoolatakoo" by the local Salish tribe, which means "river of ambush". French fur-trappers found the bones and bodies of Blackfeet and Flathead tribesmen in what appeared to be a former battleground near the Blackfoot River. They called the area "Hellgate" because of the carnage they found there. C.P. Higgins and Francis Worden opened a trading post nearby in 1860, which became known as "Hellgate Village", the first white settlement in the region. While the canyon is still called "Hellgate", settlers called the village "Missoula Mills", after the Indian name and the sawmill and flour mills that were soon built. Fort Missoula was established by the U.S. Army in 1877 and the Northern Pacific Railroad came through in 1883, insuring that Missoula would become an important trading center, distributing agricultural products from the Bitterroot Valley. This beautiful map provides a look at the beginnings of the city.

Complete reference list below.


Features numbered references to the following locations:

1. First National Bank Building. office of Cornish Winstanley & Tower, Real Estate & Mining Brokers.
2. Missoula Mercantile Co.
3. Hammond Building.