Historic Map - Philippi, WV - 1861
Town of Philippi, Barbour County, West Virginia. 1861. Sketched by Mrs. M. D. Pool of Virginia.
This reproduction view of Philippi, West Virginia was drawn by Mrs. M. D. Pool in 1861. Philippi was established in the late 1700's as a ferry town along the Tygart Valley River. Booth’s Ferry crossed the river here until the covered bridge was constructed in 1852. The community prospered through farming and lumber harvesting.
On June 3 in the year of this map’s publishing, Philippi was the site of the Battle of Philippi. At the onset of the Civil War, two Union forces, under the command of Colonel Benjamin Kelley and Colonel Ebenezer Dumont, marched all night in a rainstorm to surprise the newly inducted and inexperienced Confederates stationed at Philippi. The Confederates quickly broke their loosely achieved lines and fled south. This first Union victory enabled Major General George McClellan to gain national recognition and attain command of the entire Union army.
The sketch from 1861 includes Philippi’s streets, buildings and covered bridge.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.