Historic Map - Parkersburg, WV - 1861
This subtly colored reproduction view of Parkersburg, West Virginia was drawn and published by A. Hoen & Co. around 1861. Parkersburg is located at the confluence of the Ohio River and the Little Kanawha River in the northwestern portion of the state. It was first settled by Europeans in the 1700's as Newport. Following the American Revolution, much of town was granted to war hero Alexander Parker. After much dispute with townspeople, the community settled with Parker’s heirs and the town’s name was changed to Parkersburg. It was chartered in 1820 and re-chartered at the time of this map’s publishing. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad built an extension to Parkersburg in 1857. The town was a key transportation center during the American Civil War. It also served as hospitalization and treatment center in wartime.
The detailed map from the 1860's includes streets, buildings, piers and covered bridge.
There is railroad and riverboat traffic, as well as lively scenes of carriage and pedestrian activities.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.