Historic Map - Pleasant Hill, MO - 1869
Bird's eye view of the city of Pleasant Hill, Cass Co., Missouri 1869. Drawn by A. Ruger.
Reproduction map of the community known as Pleasant Hill, MO, drawn by Albert Ruger. Religion played an important role in the lives of the earliest settlers here. Methodist services were held in the Reverend Ferrell's home until political loyalties divided the congregation during the Civil War, and two separate churches had to be built. The first Methodist church was erected in "Old Town" in 1848. It was used as a school house during the week, and during the Civil War it was used as a barracks for the Federal Soldiers. It was burned down in 1862. Even the Presbyterian congregation was divided and had two churches built side-by-side on High Street. Under Brigadier General Ewing's famous General Order Number 11, of 1863, Pleasant Hill was almost deserted. General Order Number 11 forced the evacuation of rural areas and demanded the few local Union loyalists prove their allegiance and live near the military outposts. If they couldn't, they had to leave the area. By the end of the war Cass County had fewer than 600 residents. (see complete text of General Order Number 11 below).
In 1865 the Pacific Railway reached the swampy lowlands nearly a mile southwest of town, in an area then called Wyoming, and the town moved itself practically overnight to what they termed "New Town". Entire houses were picked up and moved to the new location. "Old Town" lost most of its commerce. The Pacific Union Railroad Depot was built in 1866. Pleasant Hill, soon after, grew and prospered through trade throughout the region, and by 1867, the population had risen to 2,200.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad, carriage and pedestrian traffic.
Complete reference list below.
Features lettered references to the following locations:
- Christian Church
- Congregational Church
- Episcopal Church
- Methodist E. Church
- Methodist S. Church
- Baptist Church
- North O. S. Presbyterian Church
- South O. S. Presbyterian Church
- Union School
- M. P. R. W. Depot
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.