Historic Map - Sandusky, OH - 1883
Reproduction bird's-eye view map of Sandusky, Ohio, drawn and published by A. J. Hare in 1883. Sandusky was founded in 1816, as "Portland", on land reserved for "Firelands" refugees. Later the name was changed to Sandusky and it became the county seat of the newly formed Erie County. Surveyor Hector Kilbourne modified the street grid of downtown Sandusky to resemble the symbols of Freemasonry, in what has become to be known as the "Kilbourne Plat" design. The Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad connected the town in the 1830s. Upon a visit here in 1842, Charles Dickens described the town as "sluggish and uninteresting enough" and "something like the back of an English watering-place, out of the season". Louis Zistel opened his famous beer garden, bathhouse and dance floor on nearby Cedar Point Peninsula in 1870.
The map features clearly labeled street names and shows railroad traffic.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. High School.
2. First Ward School.
3. Fourth Ward School.
4. Fifth Ward School.
5. Holy Angels Catholic School.
6. German Catholic School.
7. Catholic Schools.
8. Holy Angels Catholic Church.
9. St. Mary's German Catholic Church.
10. Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church.
11. Baptist Church.
12. Grace Protestant Episcopal Church.
13. German Evangelical Protestant Church.
14. German Evangelical Church.
15. Congregational Church.
16. German Lutheran Church.
17. Methodist Episcopal Church.
18. Presbyterian Church.
19. Baptist (Colored) Church.
20. German Evangelical Protestant Church.
21. German Methodist Episcopal Church.
22. German Reformed.
23. Friends' Chapel.
24. Cal. Episcopal Church.
25. St. Luke's Mission Church.
26. St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church.
27. A. M. E. Church.
28. Court House.
29. Erie County Jail.
30. Post Office and Custom House.
31. Sloane House.
32. West House.
33. Opera House.
34. No. 2 Engine House.
35. No. 1 Engine House.
36. Water Works.
37. State Fish Hatchery.
38. Fair Grounds.
39. Catholic Cemeteries.
40. L. S. & M. S. R. R. Depot.
41. B. & O. R. R. Depot.
42. I. B. & W. R. R. Depot.
43. I. B. & W. Shops.
44. B. & O. Shops.
45. Kilbourne & Co., Cooper Shops.
46. Hodgman & Co., Cooper Shops.
47. Sandusky Tool Co.
48. Icsman Saw Mill.
49. Germania Basket Co.
50. Sandusky Basket Co.
51. Western School Supply Co.
52. Sandusky Paper Mill.
53. Sandusky Rolling Mill.
54. S. M. & A. Works.
55. Woolworth's Handle Factory
56. Butler & Co., Sash, Doors and Blinds.
57. Fulton Machine Works.
58. Schoepfle & Sloan, Sahs, Doors and Blinds.
59. Woolsey Wheel Co.
60. Sandusky Gas Works.
61. Sandusky Box Factory.
62. Sandusky Wheel Co.
63. Ilg's Brewery.
64. Stang's Brewery.
65. Kuebeler & Co.'s Brewery.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.