null

Historic Map - Madison, SD - 1883

Code:
1W-SD-MA-1883-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Birds Eye View of Madison, County Seat of Lake Co. Dakota

Fine reproduction of a panoramic map of Madison, South Dakota in 1883, only three years following the decision to move the town to a new location. A bitter rivalry between the residents of the villages of Herman, which was settled along the north shore of Lake Herman, and the original village of Madison, established along the south shore of Lake Madison, had developed over the honor of being determined county seat of Lake County. Madison had been named the country seat in 1875, but not without bitter opposition from those that believed Herman to be the most worthy site. In 1880, a railroad survey extending the Milwaukee Railroad missed the original town of Madison by three miles, crossing right through the town of Herman. Homesteader, C. B. Kennedy invited the people of Herman and Madison to relocate on his property, which was crossed by the new rail line. The residents of Madison were happy to go, but the residents of Herman were reluctant. Three buildings in Herman that were on the market were stealthily purchased by Kennedy and associates and moved to the new site. The sheriff was called to be on hand as angry citizens protested and brandished weapons when the plot was revealed. The railroad officials were finally called in to arbitrate and determined that the two villages would move to the Kennedy land and become the new Madison. The move began in August of 1880. Library of Congress stamp appears on lower right, dated September 21, 1883. Inset illustrations of Lake Madison and Lake Herman are also depicted. This beautiful map provides a look at the beginnings of the city. Complete reference list below.

Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:

State Normal School.
Graded School.
Baptist Church.
Presbyterian Church.
Catholic Church.
C., M. & St. P. R. R. Depot.
Madison House, J. D. Andrews, Prop.
Commercial House, J. J. Craney Prop..
Citizens Bank, W. F. Smith & Co..
Bank of Madison, F. D. Fitts.
Chas. B. Kennedy, Attorney and Real Estate.
Smith & Tiffany, Real Estate.
Madison Bank, Jacobs Bros..
Lake Co. Mills, R. S. Whalen, Manager.
Post Office, P. H. Harth, P. M..
Jones Bros., Booksellers and Stationers.
C. M. Nichols, Jeweler.
C. H. Wood, Drugs and Medicines, Books, Stationery, &c..
McCallister Bros., Hardware and Agricultural Implements.
Clough & Batchelder, Drugs, Medicines, Books and Stationery.
D. T. Soper, Attorney.
Daly & Fitzgerald, General Mds..
Seielstad & Hausen, General Mds..
J. W. Davison, General Mds..
Sherman & Porter, Meat and Veg. Market.
Cameron Bros., General Mds..
Bergstreser Bros., General Mds..
Clark & McKinnon, General Mds..
H. J. Patterson, Agricultural Impl..
L. W. Fisher, Bakery, Restaurant, Fruits and Confectionery.
Lumber Yard, Wessley Hill Manager.
Elevator, E. W. Ketcham, Manager.
Saloon and Billiard Parlor, Gary & Keegan.
Fuller Bros., Contractors and Builders, Wagon and Carriage Machinery.
A. B. Olmer, Furniture and Undertaking.
K. Thompson & Bros., General Mds. and Farm Machinery.
Aug. Proehl, Furniture and Undertaking.
John McCormick, Boots and Shoes.
B. Mellon, Groceries & Provisions.
Drumey & Keegan, Saloon and Billiard Parlor.
T. S. Hubbard, Harness, Trunks, &c..
A. B. Houts, Saloon and Billiard Parlor.
John Dawe, Bakery, Restaurant, Fruits, Confectionery &c., Egan Ave..
John Huntamer, Blacksmith and Wagon Shop.
C. Klotzback, Livery, Feed and Sale Stable.
Wm. Lee, Agricultural Implements.
P. W. Brocher, Harness, Trunks, &c..
L. H. McCarger, Editor Sentinel.
J. F. Stahl, Editor Leader.