Historic Map - Sandusky, OH - 1898
Reproduction panorama map of Sandusky, Ohio, drawn and published by Alvord-Peters Co. around 1898. Sandusky was founded in 1816, as "Portland", on land the government had reserved for New England refugees of the "Firelands", who had had their homes and towns destroyed during the American Revolution. Later the name was changed to Sandusky and it became the county seat of the newly formed Erie County. Surveyor Hector Kilbourne, the first "Worshipful Master of the Sandusky Masonic Lodge", modified the street grid of downtown Sandusky to resemble the symbols of Freemasonry, in what has become to be known as the "Kilbourne Plat" design. The Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad connected the town in the 1830's. With its location on the banks of Lake Erie, Sandusky was a major launch point for slaves to escape to Canada prior to the American Civil War. Upon a visit here in 1842, Charles Dickens described the town as "sluggish and uninteresting enough" and "something like the back of an English watering-place, out of the season". By 1898, Sandusky was a leading paper-making city.
This beautifully colored map from 1898 shows outlining areas of:
Put-In Bay Island
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.