Stamford, Conn. Drawn by L. R. Burleigh.
Beautifully hand-colored historic map of Stamford, CT, drawn by Lucien R. Burleigh and published by Beck & Pauli Lith. in 1883. Nicknamed "The City That Works", Stamford lies near the southwest point of Connecticut. Its close proximity to the waters off New York and its important railroad links lured many early industrialists to the area. Two such enterprisers were Linus Yale Jr. and Henry R. Towne who manufactured locks in Shelbourne, Massachusetts. Yale was an inventor and bank lock maker and Towne was an engineer. Yale had patented his five-pin tumbler lock in 1861. The partnership formed the Yale Lock Company, moved their business to Stamford and manufactured many variations of compact lightweight locks that were virtually pick-proof. Many referred to Stamford as "Lock Town". Yale died in 1868 leaving Towne as sole owner and in 1883 he renamed the business as Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company. Beginning in the late 1800's, New Yorkers began building summer homes along the shoreline of Stamford.
The map features clearly labeled street names with lively scenes of railroad and shipping traffic.
Complete reference list below.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Town Hall
- N. Y., N. H. & H. R. R. Station
- H. W. Collender Co.
- Yale & Towne Manufacturing Co.
- H. K. White's Straw Goods Manufactory
- Lincrusta Walton Manufacturing Co.
- H. A. Perkins' Fire Brick Works
- St. John, Hoyt & Co.'s Lumber Yard and Moulding Mill
- The Ingersoll Manufacturing Co.
- Automatic Scale Manufacturing Co.
- Stamford Stove Works
- W. C. Harding & Co.'s Woolen Mill
- C. H. Taff's Lumber Yard and Planing Mill
- Mt. Vernon Suspender Co.
- B. Keith & Co., Manufacturing Chemists
- C. H. White & Co.'s Lumber Yard and Planing Mill
- Presbyterian Church
- Baptist Church
- Universalist Church
- St. John's Episcopal Church
- St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Congregational Church
- Roman Catholic Church
- Methodist Chapel
- Waterside Chapel
- Y. M. C. A. Building
- Furguson Library
- Public Schools
- First National Bank
- Stamford National Bank
- Stamford Savings Bank
- Stamford House
- Union House
- "The Arlington"
- Hamilton House