Historic Map - Valdosta, GA - 1885
Panoramic view of Valdosta, Ga. : county seat of Lowndes County.
Bird's eye view map of Valdosta, Georgia, county seat of Lowndes County, drawn and published by Norris, Wellge & Co. in 1885. The map captures the town as it appeared just twenty-five years after its incorporation on December 7, 1860. The county seat was moved at the same time from Troupville to Valdosta, with citizens of Troupville relocating there after the Gulf and Atlantic Railroad bi-passed their town by six miles. The name Valdosta was given to the newly created town in memory of the plantation "Val d'Osta" owned by Governer George Troup, for whom the now nearly abandoned Troupville and Troup County had been named.
Within one year of its formation, the state of Georgia joined the other southern states in seceding from the Union and joining the Confederate States. While the community faced great hardships due to shortages and deprivations caused by the war, it did not suffer the bombardment that other cities experienced and was sought out as a safe haven to escape the destruction that was occurring in the northern part of the state. The city advertised in all of the major Georgia newspapers that there was safety in Valdosta. Many who sought refuge during this time became permanent residents.
Following the Civil War, Valdosta continued to offer a safe haven for visitors and residents alike, without the deep-seated resentment against the North that was shared by many southerners who had directly experienced the devastation of war. The newly formed town did not have the history and references to the past that led many to reject the shift from an agricultural economy to a more diversified one. Valdosta promoted itself as the "Jewel of South Georgia".
Features numbered references to the following locations:
- Baptist Church.
- Presbyterian Church.
- Methodist Church.
- Christian Church.
- Colored Methodist Church.
- A. M. E. Methodist Church.
- Colored Baptist Church.
- County Court House.
- County Jail.
- Valdosta Institute.
- Stuart's Hotel, before the Fire.
- Prescott's Hotel.
- European House, W. P. Renfroe.
- Bank, E. T. Lane.
- Grist Mill and Cotton Gin, J. A. Dasher, Jr.
- Wilkinson & Ashley, Attorneys.
- N. A. Williams, Dentist.
- R. A. Peeples & Son, Fire and Life Insurance.
- A. S. Pendleton & Co., General Merchandise.
- D. Thomas, Druggist, Bookseller and Stationer.
- O. C. Hall, Groceries and Wholesale Liquors.
- C. C. Varnedoe, Millinery and General Merchandise.
- C. R. Ashley, Groceries, Crockery, Furniture, etc.
- B. W. Bentley, Jewelry and Musical Instruments.
- H. L. Boone, Hardware and Agricultural Implements.
- M. A. Briggs, Druggist, Bookseller and Stationer.
- J. C. Hunt, Livery, Feed and Sale Stables.
- L. M. Collins, Millinery and General Merchandise.
- J. O. Varnedoe & Co., General Merchandise.
- J. W. Strickland, Editor Valdosta News.
- T. V. Clem, Valdosta Bar.
- Robert Black, Groceries, Confectionery, etc.
- T. S. McKey, General Merchandise.
- Rogers & Saxon, Physicians and Surgeons.
- Smith & Slater, Attorneys.
- C. R. Pendleton, Editor Valdosta Times.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.