| This colorful panoramic print of York, Pennsylvania was drawn by Davoust Kern and published by A. Hoen & Co. in 1879. York was first settled by Europeans in the mid-1700's in the fertile valley surrounding Codorus Creek. The creek was completely navigable to its mouth at the Susquehanna River enabling easy early transportation.
York was briefly occupied by the Confederate army during the American Civil War. The one-time capital of the United States maintained as a valuable farming and growing industrial community in the late 1800's.
The illustration includes York’s streets, buildings, bridges and railroad routes. A statement at the bottom of the illustration states:
“The Continental Congress met in York on September 30, 1777, and remained here until British troops, under Gen. Sir William Howe evacuated Philadelphia in June, 1778. While in session in York, Congress passed a number of resolutions of historical interest, some of which were as follows: October 4, 1777, thanks to Gen. Gates for the repulse of Gen. Burgoyne, and to Gen. Stark for victory at Bennington. October 8, 1777, thanks to Gen. Washington for “wise and well concerted attack upon the enemy’s army near Germantown.”
Map features border illustrations of the following:
• New Market House.
• Morris Drug Store. W. M. Smith & Co.
• Laurel Engine House.
• Episcopal Church.
• Orphan’s Home.
• Court House. 1879.
• State & Court House. 1777.
• Masonic Hall.
• Methodist Episcopal Church.
• Vigilant Engine House.
• Kern’s Home.
• St. Paul’s Lutheran Church.
• Second English Lutheran Church.
• First English Lutheran Church.
• Trinity Reformed Church.
• M. B. Spahr. Notions, Boots & Shoes.
• Public High School.
• Agricultural Fair Grounds.
• Collegiate Institute.
• Thomas Chamber & Co. Cutlery, Guns, Tools, Oil Cloths.
• Presbyterian Church.
• Deutsche Ev. Lutheran St. Johannis Kirche.
• English Catholic Church.