The Pennsylvania Railroad was founded in 1846. By 1895 the line had become a major railroad system connecting Chicago and St. Louis with New York and New Jersey.
The railroad's Altoona complex was the major industry, employing thousands of workers. The Pennsylvania Railroad created Altoona’s fire departments and library. Railroad officials had Altoona’s hospital moved to a location nearer its shop gates.
Carbondale, situated along the Lackawanna River, was a major mining and railroad community in the 1800's. The Delaware, Lackawanna & Hudson Railroad maintained an important terminal here. The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, based in nearby Scranton, owned and operated an underground anthracite coal mine and breaker at Carbondale.
In the 1890's more and more railroads turned towards connecting vacationers with the regions' many popular spas, springs and resorts. Pristine get-away destinations were much more accessable due to the railroads.
This detailed map was published in 1895 by J. Sutton Wall. It shows cities, towns, counties, waterways, and the railroad system distinguished by color.