null

Historic Railroad Map of Vermont - 1896

Code:
1W-VT-RR-1896-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Coffin's New Railroad Map of Vermont accompanying report of the board of railroad commissioners, 1896.

Montpelier, along the North Branch of the Winooski River, was first settled in 1787.

Montpelier water power was provided by the falls on the Winooski River. This led to the development of numerous mills and factories. In 1849 East Montpelier was organized as a separate town.

In 1849 the Vermont Central Railroad opened.

Middlebury's position along the Otter Falls provided water power for mills and factories, leading to the growth and prosperity that made Middlebury the second largest town in Vermont by 1830.

The Rutland and Burlington Railroad arrived in Middlebury in 1849.

Throughout the 1800's, Castleton developed slate and marble industries, as well as maintaining a healthy agricultural community.

The Portland & Ogdensburg Railway began operations following the civil war; facilitating the shipment of quarried stone. Several granite quarries and polishing mills were located at Hardwick.

During 1890's several Vermont towns traditionally celebrated Independence Day by holding an Ancient and Horribles Parade. Townspeople dressed in outrageous political garb and satirized the politicians of the day. Some Vermont towns have lately resurrected the tradition.

This map was published in 1896 by Coffin. It shows relief, drainage, cities, towns, counties, and clearly labeled railroad network of 1896.

Included is a list of railroads.