This colorful bird’s-eye view print of Ardmore, Oklahoma was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1891. Ardmore was founded as a railroad stop along the newly established Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad; a branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railway.
Ardmore prospered as a cotton producing center during its early years. Four years after this map’s publishing, most of the town was destroyed by fire. Ardmore later would become important as an energy transportation hub, with vast oil fields discovered nearby.
The map includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes.
Features references to the following locations:
Ardmore Male & Female Institute.
Lumber Yard. T. M. Richardson Lumber Co.
Lumber Yard. Stephens & Johnson, Proprietors.
Chickasaw Lumber Yard. S. F. Stinson, Proprietor.
Lumber Yard. S. E. Perkins, Proprietor.
Odd Fellows Hall.
R. R. Station.
M. E. South Church.
Presbyterian Old School Church.
Presbyterian Cumberland Church.