Historic Map - Harrisville, WV - 1899
This reproduction view of Harrisville, West Virginia was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1899. Harrisville is the oldest town in Ritchie County having been laid out in wilderness owned by Thomas Harris in 1822, with the idea that it would become county seat for a new county. The post office was established in 1830, using the name “Solus”, with William McKinney, Jr. as postmaster. The original Harrisville court house was built in 1844. It featured a jail made of one-foot square logs placed closely together, with a twenty-penny nail driven into every square inch. The court house was replaced in the 1870's with the brick structure shown in 1899. The town’s White Hall Hotel was built by New Yorker Robert Porter in 1846. The hotel changed ownership in 1850 to W. M. Patton. Patton later became the county sheriff and the ownership was acquired by his father William Patton, Sr.. Upon the death of the elder Patton in 1879, control of the property was maintained by his son, A. J. The hotel was soon-after destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in 1893. The new hotel was three stories high and had thirty-five rooms. It was the main hotel in town, other than a number of boarding houses, and was efficiently managed in 1899 by Mrs. B. F. Patton and her son Frank.
The Harrisville map from 1899 includes labeled streets, buildings, carriage and pedestrian traffic, and railroad line.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. Court House.
2. Public School.
3. P. & H. R. R. Station.
4. Post Office.
5. Opera House.
6. White Hall Hotel, B. F. Patton.
7. Watson House.
8. Methodist Prot. Church.
9. Methodist Episcopal Church.
10. Baptist Church.
12. Cemetery Odd Fellows.
13. Harrisville Roller Mills.
14. R. E. L. Frymier Planing Mill.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.