Historic Map - Parkersburg, WV - 1899
The reproduction panoramic map of Parkersburg, West Virginia was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1899. The community that became known as Parkersburg was established in the 1700's near the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha Rivers.
The industrious town was an important transportation center during the American Civil War. Industry grew after the war ended and the addition of factories instilled some consternation among residents who were victims of noisy manufacturers. As a result of a nuisance injunction against the town’s Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Company, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals of Wood County made their final decision on March 7, 1891 stating:
“The noise of a factory, which materially interferes with and impairs the ordinary physical comfort of human existence, may be treated as a nuisance. But the standard as to the effect must be the man of normal nervous sensibility and ordinary mode of living.
But such cases depend in a particular degree upon their own facts and surrounding circumstances; so that courts of equity should proceed with great caution in abating or restraining such factory by injunction, and not enjoin unless the fact of nuisance is made in some way to appear clearly beyond all ground of fair questioning.”
This ruling is still cited today regarding nuisance ordinances. Parkersburg’s weekly newspaper “The Sentinel” began publishing on July 15, 1875 and started a daily publication on October 21, 1889.
The map from 1899 shows Parkersburg streets, bridges and railroad lines. Illustrated are lively scenes of carriage and pedestrian traffic as well as river transportation.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Court House.
2. Government Buildings.
3. City Hall.
4. Public Schools.
5. De Sales Heights Convent of the Visitation.
6. The Blennerhasset. L. E. Smith, Proprietor.
7. The Jackson. T. L. Shields. Proprietor.
8. Hotel Ormond. J. B. Jenkins, Proprietor.
9. Lehman’s Hotel. Otto Lehman, Proprietor.
10. Commercial Hotel.
12. The Parkersburg Mill Co.
13. Chair Factory.
14. Standard Oil Co. Refinery.
15. Bentley & Gerwig Furniture Factory.
16. Pump Station.
17. Parkersburg Brewing Co.
18. Ice Plant.
19. O. R. R. R. Station.
20. B. & O. R. R. Station
A. St. Francis Xavier’s Church.
B. First Baptist Church.
C. First M. E. Church.
D. South M. E. Church.
E. First Presbyterian Church.
F. Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church.
G. Henry Logan M. E. Church.
H. Memorial Chapel of the Good Sheperd.
I. Elberon M. E. Church.
J. United Brethren Church.
K. Bethany Methodist Church.
L. Baptist Colored Church.
M. Wesleyan M. E. Church.
Premium fine art paper that provides accurate color reproduction with high-contrast, high-resolution print output and maximum image permanence. A high-quality print ready for framing.
- Museum quality paper for high-quality fine art.
- Ultra smooth, neutral white matte finish.
- Heavy-weight 230 gsm, 9.5 mil thickness.
- Printed with pigment inks for longer print life and enhanced fade resistance.
- Pigment based Canon LUCIA inks provide smooth tones and rich colors in fine, precise detail.