View of Hickory, Catawba County, N.C., 1907 / drawn & published by A. E. Downs.
This bird’s-eye view print of Hickory, North Carolina was drawn and published by Albert E. Downs around 1907. Hickory was established as Hickory Tavern in the 1850's, as a trade destination for the mountain producing farmers of the region. Cabbage, beans and apples were abundantly grown in the area and butter and cheese were produced as well.
When the railroad reached town in 1859 the community was referred to as Hickory Station. Hickory was incorporated in 1870.
In 1880, the Piedmont Wagon Works established a large wagon manufacturing plant at Hickory. The plant manufactured the Piedmont & Hickory Wagon which was built using lumber harvested directly from the surrounding forests. The wagon works eventually covered an area of fifteen acres, producing 10,000 wagons annually.
Other woodworking industries began to emerge, as well as cotton mills, hosiery mills, roller mills, an ice plant, a foundry, a pump factory and tanneries. Hickory maintained a school desk factory and two fine furniture factories. There were machine shops for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad located at Hickory. These factories and facilities employed a large number of people.
The map of Hickory and vicinity includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad route.