View of South Rocky Mount, Nash and Edgecombe Counties, N.C., 1907 / drawn & published by T. M. Fowler.
This bird’s-eye view print of property of the South Rocky Mount Land Co. was drawn and published by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler around 1907. Rocky Mount was founded in the early 1800's near the Falls of the Tar River.
Cotton mills were established nearby which grew to employ hundreds while maintaining their own company village.
In the late 1800's, Rocky Mount became a marketing center for the popular bright-leaf tobacco, emerging as the tobacco user’s preferred choice in the manufacture of cigarettes.
The population of Rocky Mount reached 3,000 in 1907, which was the year it gained city status.
The map includes labeled streets, city plots and railroad route.