View of Rocky Mount, Nash and Edgecombe Counties, N.C., 1907 / drawn & published by T. M. Fowler.
This bird’s-eye view print of Rocky Mount, North Carolina was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and printed by Chas. Hart Photo-litho. in 1907. Rocky Mount was founded in the early 1800's near the Falls of the Tar River.
Cotton mills were established nearby which grew to employ hundreds, maintaining its own company village.
In the late 1800's, Rocky Mount became a marketing center for the popular bright-leaf tobacco, emerging as the tobacco user’s preferred choice in the manufacture of cigarettes.
The population of Rocky Mount reached 3,000 in 1907, which was the year it gained city status.
The map includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad routes. It features border illustrations of the following:
- Rocky Mount Graded School (Nash).
- Levy’s Undertaking Establishment. 134 Washington St.
- Episcopal Church.
- Residence of W. G. Weeks.
- Residence of T. J. Hackney.
- Residence of R. L. Huffines.
- Methodist Prot. Church.
- Baptist Church.
- Rocky Mount Graded School (Edgecombe).
- Rocky Mount Lumber Co.
- Bank of Rocky Mount.
- Matthews Weeks & Co. Wholesale Grocers.
- Gay & Arrington, Hardware, Carriages, Building Material and Undertakers.
- The Planters Bank.
- Hales & Edwards, Wholesale Grocers.
- Presbyterian Church.
- Methodist Church.
- Rocky Mount Sash & Blind Co.