View of Lewisburg, Union County, P.A., 1884 / drawn & published by O. H. Bailey & Co.
This bird’s-eye view print of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania was drawn and published by O. H. Bailey & Co. in 1884. Lewisburg is a borough at the confluence of Buffalo Creek and the Susquehanna River. Due to its location along the river, Lewisburg prospered during the 1800's as a trade center for Pennsylvania’s agriculture. The harvesting of timber was also important, as well as boat and barge building.
The map from 1884 includes labeled streets, buildings, covered bridges and railroad lines. It features inset illustrations of the following:
- Interior view of J. W. Shaffer’s Clothing Store and Tailoring Establishment.
- Lewisburgh Woolen Mills.
- P. Billmeyer & Co. Builders of Canal Boats & Barges & Manufacturers of all kinds of Lumber, White Oak Ship Plank, also White Pine Decking always on hand.
- Residence of J. W. Shaffer.
- Interior view of C. A. Sturgis’ Jewelry Store.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
- Lewisburgh University.
- Public Schools.
- Court House.
- pera House.
- Post Office.
- Water Works.
- as Works.
- Buffalo Milling Co., Ltd.
- P. Billmeyer & Co.
- Lewisburgh Woolen Mills. M. Halfpenny & Co.
- Buckeye Mower & Reaper Works.
- Lewisburgh Star Mill. C. L. Fry.
- Nesbit Bros. Planing Mill.
- Higgins & Conneilius Coal Yard.
- Baptist Church.
- Lutheran Church.
- Methodist Church.
- Christian Church.
- Reformed Church.
- Presbyterian Church.
- Evangelical Church.
- Baker House. W. N. Baker.
- American House. J. P. S. Weidensaul.