Panoramic view of the city of The Dalles, Or. county seat of Wasco County 1884. H. Wellge, del. Beck & Pauli, litho.
Superior reproduction of this "Bird's Eye View" map of The Dalles, Oregon in 1884. Lewis and Clark camped in the area in 1805 when this was still part of the "Long Narrows" of the Columbia River. The Dalles marked the end of the Oregon Trail, and by the 1850's, the city served as the main commercial center between Portland and Pendleton. Steamships on the Columbia River are depicted in the foreground with Mt. Hood shown in the distance. This beautiful map provides a look at the beginnings of the city. Complete reference list below.
Features references to the following locations:
County Court House.
Wasco Independent Academy.
St. Marys Academy.
O. R. & N. Co. Round House and Shops.
Cosmopolitan Hotel, Thomas Smith.
New Columbia Hotel, T. T. Nicholas.
Columbia Brewery, August Buchler.
Bank, French & Co.