null

Historic Map - Watertown, SD - 1883

Code:
1W-SD-WA-1883-S-P
Shipping Weight:
2.00 pounds
Starting at $29.95

clear
Bird's eye view of Watertown, Dak. county-seat of Codington Co. 1883. Beck & Pauli, lithographers.

Fine reproduction of a panoramic map of Watertown, South Dakota in 1883. County Seat of Condington County, the town of Watertown was formed when the new railroad line stopped short of the region's original settlement of Kampeska, and was moved to meet the railroad. The arrival of the railroad brought a population boom to the area. The federal land office moved from Springfield to Watertown in 1875 to handle the influx of settlers to the region. In 1880, the population of Codington County was listed at 2,156, by 1884 there were 5,648 people in the county. This map depicts the town as it appeared shortly after its formation. Inset illustrations include the buildings along the west side of Maple Street, the west side of Oak Street, and Lake Kampeska. Library of Congress stamp on lower margin is dated July 28, 1883. This beautiful map provides a look at the beginnings of the city. Complete reference list below. 

Features references to the following locations:

Methodist Church.
Baptist Church.
Christian Church.
Congregational Church.
Episcopal Church.
Court House.
High School.
Watertown Roller Mills, Stokes Bros. & Jenison.
First National Bank.
Bank of Watertown.
Central House, W. A. King, Proprietor.
Kampeska House, C. C. Wiley, Proprietor.
Johnson House, Johnson & Cartford, Proprietors.
East Watertown Hotel, Owsley Bros. & Co., Proprietors.
U. S. Land Office.
Watertown Plow Works, Lee Bros.
Elevators.
Chicago & Northwestern Rail Road Depot.
Chicago & Northwestern Round House.
Mellette & McIntyre's Addition.
Goddard & Wylie, Land Agents, Oak St.
Rice Bros., General Merchandise, Oak St.
Kemp Bros., Hardware and Farm Machinery, Corner of Maple St. & Dakota Ave.
Monks & Wiser, Hardware and Farm Machinery, Oak St.
Lyon & Church, Editors Daily and Weekly Courier, Oak St.
W. O. Fraser, Editor Dakota News, Kemp Ave.
Tarbell & Williamson, Drugs, Books and Stationery, Oak St.
O. J. Flood, Jeweler, Oak St.
L. M. Thomas, Saloon and Billiard Parlor, Oak St.
T. H. Pritchard, Marble Works, Oak St.
E. A. Brizee, Groceries and Crockery, Oak St.
L. V. Sybrant, Contractor and Builder.
G. J. Warren, Harness, Trunks, etc., Oak St.
Faehn & Co., General Merchandise, Oak St.
Campbell & Glass, Attorneys, Oak St.
J. C. Mulholland, Wines, Liquors and Cigars, Oak St.
Peter Mauseth, Furniture, Kemp Ave.
Geo. A. Edes, Furniture, Oak St.
C. F. Anderson, Attorney, Loan and Land Agent, Oak St.
James Riley, Harness, Trunks, etc., Kemp Ave.
Stevens & Whistler, Meat Market, Oak St.
Church, Barr & Co., Real Estate Dealers, Oak St.
A. Weaver, Groceries, Crockery, Boots and Shoes, Oak St.
Mellette & McIntyre's Brick Yard, 1½ miles west of the city.
Vaux Bros., Livery and Feed Stable, Maple St.
Owsley Bros. & Co., General Merchandise, Oak St.