This aero-view map of Shenandoah, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1889. Shenandoah was a boom town in the 1890's as coal was harvested throughout the region. The valley which Shenandoah stands was rich agricultural farmlands until anthracite coal veins were discovered in the surrounding mountains. Attention in the valley shifted toward mining of the valuable ore. The addition of railroads enabled speculators and miners to flow into Shenandoah to work the mines and enrich the town. Breakers were established in the vicinity of Shenandoah and the town prospered highly with its transportation. The Shenandoah City Colliery began operations in 1862. In 1866 Shenandoah was incorporated as a borough.
The map from 1889 includes labeled streets, buildings and railroad lines. It features inset illustrations of the following:
• Trinity Reformed Church as re-modeled in 1888. Rev. W. D. Donat, Pastor. A. Sloyer, Architect.
• Church of the Annunciation & Pastor’s Residence. Rev. H. F. O’Reilley, Pastor.
• Residence of P. J. Ferguson. A. Sloyer, Architect and Builder.
• Williams & Bro. Furniture & Undertaking. Pianos, Organs & Sewing Machines.
• W. F. & Max Schmidt. Dry Goods & Groceries. Established 1884.
• Shenandoah Electric Illuminating Company. Incorporated 1885.
• Refowich One Price Clothing Hall. The Old Reliable Clothier.
• Watson House.
• Residence of W. Czyzewski.
• Residence and Restaurant of M. Peter.
• Borough Building. Established 1885.
• Methodist Episcopal Church. Rev. John Stringer, Pastor.
• Ferguson Theatre & Bank Building.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. Ferguson’s Opera House.
3. L. V. R. R. Station.
4. P. & R. R. R. Station.
5. Pennsylvania R. R. Station.
6. Ferguson House. Crinnian Bros., Proprietors.
7. Merchants Hotel. J. H. Mullin, Proprietor.
8. Farmer’s Hotel. G. F. Leitzel, Proprietor.
9. Kehley’s Run Colliery.
10. Indian Ridge Colliery.
12. Kohinoor Colliery.
13. West Shenandoah Colliery.
14. William Penn Colliery.
15. Turkey Run Colliery.
16. Cambridge Colliery.
17. Shenandoah City Colliery.
18. Kalbach & Mease Carriage Works.
19. Shenandoah Electric Illuminating Co.
A. Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation.
B. Roman Catholic German Church.
C. Roman Catholic Polish Church.
D. Roman Catholic Greek Church.
E. First Methodist Episcopal Church.
F. Primitive Methodist Church.
G. Lutheran English Church.
H. Lutheran German Church.
J. Evangelical Church.
K. Welsh Congregational Church.
L. Welsh Baptist Church.
M. English Baptist Church.
N. Episcopal Church.
O. Presbyterian Church.
P. Welsh C. M. Church.