View of Collegeville, Montgomery
County, P.A., 1894 / drawn & published by T. M. Fowler.
This panoramic print of Collegeville, Pennsylvania was drawn and published by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler in 1894. Collegeville is a borough along Perkiomen Creek. Once known as Freeland and before that Perkiomen Bridge, Collegeville is home to Ursinus College.
Ursinus College formed from the old Freeland Seminary in 1869. It operated as a liberal arts institution based on Christian beliefs and was run by Rev. J. H. A. Bomberger until his death in 1890. The highly successful college stands on fifty-six acres with twelve acres of finely landscaped campus grounds. Central are the three original four-story stone buildings, Freeland Seminary, Stine Hall and Derr Hall. The marble Bomberger Memorial Hall was added in 1892.
The area surrounding Collegeville maintained pastures and farmlands. Most noted for its quality dairy products, the area also produced grains such as buckwheat, oats, rye, wheat and Indian corn.
The map from 1894 includes Collegeville’s roads, buildings, bridge, and railroad line. It features inset illustrations of the following:
• Bomberger Memorial Hall. Ursinus College.
• Augustus Lutheran Church. Built by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg in 1743. The oldest Lutheran church in America.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Public Schools.
2. Ursinus College.
3. Masonic Hall.
4. Collegeville Hotel. J. W. Gross, Proprietor.
5. Perkiomen Bridge Hotel. J. S. Shephard, Proprietor.
6. Collegeville Restaurant. Geo. Smith, Proprietor.
7. Roller Flour Mill. Paist Bros., Proprietors.
8. Lumber, Coal, Grain & Feed Dealers. Gristock & Vanderslice, Proprietors.
9. Roberts Machine Co.
10. Carriage Works. R. H. Grater, Proprietor.
11. Spring Valley Creamery & Grist Mill. A. D. Wagner, Proprietor.
12. Railroad Station.
A. Trinity Reformed Church.
B. St. Luke’s Reformed Church.
C. Augustus Lutheran Church.
D. Augustus Lutheran Built 1743.