| This reproduction view of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1894. Chambersburg is located at the confluence of Conococheague and Falling Spring creeks in the Cumberland Valley. The town prospered as a trading center being situated at the crossroads of the early Forbes Road and the Great Wagon Road. Goods and supplies were exchanged here and the area’s creeks made excellent power sources for the building of mills. Chambersburg was named for land and mill owner Benjamin Chambers.
Chambersburg was at the front lines during the French and Indian War of the mid-1800's. During the war Chambersburg’s population went from 3,000 to 300 as residents scattered, most returning after the conflict. During the American Revolutionary War, Benjamin Chambers’ sons were war heroes. William and Benjamin Jr. achieved the rank of captain and James Chambers led the troops at the Battle of Lexington and the Battle of Long Island. James was brought into service once again during the Whiskey Rebellion where he was promoted to Brigadier General of Militia.
Chambersburg was incorporated in 1803. The Cumberland Valley Railroad served the town since 1837 and the Pennsylvania Railroad since 1857.
Chambersburg was an important stop on the Underground Railroad. On July 30th 1864, Confederate troops plundered and torched Chambersburg to the ground. The town’s county jail, built in 1818 and still standing today, was about the only building to survive the fire. Consumed were 278 places of business and 271 other buildings in just a few hours. The fire left thousands of residents homeless and penniless and reconstruction of Chambersburg was slow to progress.
The panoramic map from 1894 depicts Chambersburg thirty years after being burned by the rebel cavalry. Included are Chambersburg streets, buildings and railroad lines.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
1. Wilson’s College.
2. Public Schools.
4. Court House.
6. Masonic Hall.
7. G. A. R. Hall.
8. Hotel Washington. W. H. Shank, Proprietor.
9. National Hotel. Geo. Zullinger, Proprietor.
10. Hotel Johns. Paul Johns, Proprietor.
11. Millers Hotel. J. R. Keefer, Proprietor.
12. West Point Hotel, A. L. Martin, Proprietor.
13. Hotel McKinley. W. H. McKinley, Proprietor.
14. Flour Mill Machinery Works. Aug. Wolf & Co.
15. Chambersburg Woolen Co.
16. Founders & Machinist. T. B. Wood’s Sons.
17. Bottling Works. J. F. McFerren, Proprietor.
18. Electric Light Plant.
19. C. V. R. R. Shops.
20. C. V. R. R. Station.
21. W. M. R. R.
A. Central Presbyterian Church.
B. Zion’s Reformed Church.
C. St. John’s Reformed Church.
D. First Presbyterian (Falling Spring) Church.
E. Trinity Lutheran Church.
F. First U. B. Church.
G. Second U. B. Church.
H. M. E. Church.
I. Baptist Church.
J. Episcopal Church.
K. German Lutheran Church.
L. First Lutheran Church.
M. Presbyterian Chapel.
N. Catholic Church.
O. A. M. E. Church.
Q. Wessly A. M. E. Church.
R. Colored Baptist Church.