This panoramic print of Jermyn, Pennsylvania was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1889. Jermyn was established in the upper Lackawanna Valley next to the Lackawanna River. Anthracite coal mines began to develop in the 1850's, prompting much growth in the region. The community at the heart of these mines was known by different names until 1874 when it was named after its first mayor John Jermyn.
The map includes labeled streets, buildings, bridges and railroad lines.
Features numbered references to the following locations:
1. Public School.
2. St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church.
3. Episcopal Church.
4. Methodist Episcopal Church.
5. Welsh Congregational Church.
6. English Baptist Church.
7. Welsh Baptist Church.
8. Odd Fellows Hall.
9. Sweeny House. John McLaughlin, Proprietor.
10. Farmers Hotel. F. M. Carpenter, Proprietor.
11. St. George Hotel. John H. Solomon, Proprietor.
12. Forest House. A. J. Gavin, Proprietor.
13. Valley House. T. Grier, Proprietor.
14. Jermyn Grist Mill. Swick, Vail & Co., Proprietors.
15. Planing Mill. C. L. Bell, Proprietor.
16. Casket Works. Miller, Williams & Co., Ltd.
17. Glen Wood Colliery.
18. D. & H. C. Co. Colliery.