Bird's-eye view of Montpelier, VT, Washington County, drawn by A. F. Poole, published by Geo. E. Norris in 1884.
Montpelier is the capital of Vermont and home to Vermont History Museum and the Vermont College of Fine Arts. First settled in 1787, the town was named after the French city Montpellier by Colonel Jacob Davis, who built a large log house along the west bank of the North Branch of the Winooski River, moving his family in the following winter.
Water power was provided by the falls on the Winooski River, leading to the development of mills and factories. In 1849, the Vermont Central Railroad opened. Also in 1849, East Montpelier was set off as a separate town. This map captured the city as it appeared the year the first municipal water driven hydro system in Vermont, generating enough power to operate streetlights.
Features numbered & lettered references to the following locations:
County Court House.
Vermont Mutual Fire Insurance Co.'s Building and National Life Insurance Co..
Blanchard's Opera House.
Vermont Methodist Conference Seminary and Female College.
Central Vermont R. R. Depot.
Montpelier and Wells River Rail Road Depot.
Bethany (Congregational) Church.
St. Augustine (Catholic) Church.
Christ (Episcopal) Church.
Trinity (Methodist) Church.
Church of the Messiah (Independent).
Argus and Patriot Office.
Green Mountain Freeman Office.
Vermont Watchman Office.
Berlin Opera House.
Mt. Hunger and Hog-Back Mts..
Montpelier National Bank.
First National Bank.
Montpelier Savings Bank.
Lane Mfg. Co., Wood Working Machinery.
Montpelier Carriage Co., Children's Carriages.
Peck & Cummings, Tanner and Leather Dealers.
Fisher & Cotton, Nickel Plating Works.
C. H. Cross & Son, Wholesale Bakers & Confectioners.
Sabin Mfg. Co., Door Springs.
Harry Lowe, Mfr., The Perfection Driving Bit.
Montpelier Granite Works.
H. B. Cross, Granite Works.
O. C. Clogston, Mfr. and Deler in Hard & Soft Wood Mouldings etc..
A. & F. Johannott, Tannery.
Montpelier Marble Works, Geo. E. Wheeler.
Flour & Grist Mill.