Reproduction perspective map of Newport News, Virginia, published by the American Publishing Co. in 1891. Once a peaceful farming community, the town of Newport News boomed during the development began by Collis P. Huntington in 1881, whose new Peninsula Extension of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway from Richmond provided new opportunities in transporting coal to port for coastal and worldwide shipping. A large shipyard was also built, the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., whose buildings are shown on the map.
This map captures the town as it appeared just ten years into the boom. The map features clearly labeled street names, with railroad and maritime activity depicted. Illustrations of the following businesses and residences are featured on the map:
C. M. Braxton's Residence.
County Court House.
Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co.
Offices of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co.
First National Bank.
Newport News Light and Water Co. Pumphouse (located near Lee Hall, VA.)
Hotel Warwick Park.